<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sweet Potato Bread

May 31, 2005
permalink
Gramps always fed my pains with food. After that stopped working, she would tell me God would make everything alright. I preferred food to God when I was a little girl.



I loved Gramps' sweet potato bread. She would make that as a snack for the kids to eat after school. It was her sweet potato pie, but without the crust. She would oil the bottom of a square baking pan and pour the batter in. Bake up the batter until the edges were a golden brown. After the bread cooled, she would cut it into squares, give it to all her grandkids, and send us off to play.



The recipes I've supplied in the left sidebar are not my grandmother's. She never had recipes. It was funny. When I call for a recipe, she would say: "Getcha about a cup of this, and about a cup of that, and a pinch of this, or a pinch of that. And some buttermilk." How do you measure a pinch of something? I would always ask her. My sweet potato bread always tasted like hers, though. Always. Maybe it was the love that made it taste the same.
8:37 AM :: ::
<< Home